Saturday, February 2, 2008

Need A Little Insight

So I'm getting ready to order some things... figured I better be prepared to keep kids learning and busy while down at my Dad's when the fated call comes. As I was looking at stuff, though, I realized I don't know anything about where to really begin with young (and I mean barely school age and not even school age) kids with science, social studies and geography.

Now don't get me wrong, certainly we've done some things here and there as life has presented, but I've never really thought about this part of the structure. It's so easy at this point to just focus on the reading, writing, and math (the seemingly more obvious things) Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Kim said...

How about if you came to my house (maybe next week???) and looked through my stuff? We have materials for all ages and I would be willing to loan you stuff that is currently collecting dust. Also, have you ordered a Rainbow Resource catalog? It's way easier to use than their website and it gives great detail about every product. Oh...and the catalog is free. If you want one pronto, you can use mine.

KKS

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you would think it outdated (my youngest is eight, oldest thirteen) but we started our preschool-age and kindergarten-age children on the Core Knowledge Series, "What your Kindergartner Needs to Know." It looks like they have even expanded the program since then. http://coreknowledge.org/CK/index.htm