Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An Affordable, Hands-On Math

I've done a lot of research in regards to math programs. I knew I wanted something very hands on, but I wanted to know that my children would be learning what they needed to. I also did not want to spend a bunch of money on the program (say $1000.00 just for a math program every single individual year!). So, with my husband and my mother working in different school systems, I was able to gather a lot of ideas. Unfortunately, I kept coming back to the price. I figured, for that price, I could get the manipulatives and create my own curriculum. My biggest fear was that I might miss a critical step some where that wouldn't be noticed until later on - when it was truly needed!

Anyway, I really liked what I had seen about the Bridges Program and even some of what I saw from the Investigations programs. Both programs are designed for classroom use - thereby, they are very expensive. And then I stumbled upon this program:

RightStart Mathematics. It's affordable (one years lessons, worksheets, and necessary manipulatives is no more than $180.00 with add on kits less then that - or the whole set (5 years of lessons, worksheets, and necessary manipulatives ) for $500. The do have a geometry set (2 years) that is less than $200.

Anyway, I chose this program because it's hands on, it's affordable, it has great reviews, and it works with the idea of quantifying and not just counting. If this is the kind of program you're looking for, then check it out. The customer service was wonderful and pleasant too!

No comments: