Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Learning Languages

Language is a huge part of our lives. Without it, we would be lonely and frustrated. But there is no real universal language, so we embark upon the wonders of the language we are most familiar with. In our family, that would be English. However, verbal language takes longer to fully develop than many of us mothers might enjoy. I, especially, find it difficult to wait for my child to communicate without screaming without words!

I had some ASL experience as a teenager and through college, and with that knowledge and the few books I had, I started my children on sign language early on. When I say early on, I mean around 4 or 5 months, having shown them several even sooner than that. It was easy for them to pick up, and very soon we had a way to communicate the necessities!

My children love sign language, so we've continued their education in this. However, my "textbooks" and "dictionaries" could only do so much...and even they were missing lots of specific words -- namely, foods -- so we looked into several different signing programs for children. We settled on, and love, "Signing Time!" It's definitely geared to young children, they love it, and with the music, it not only teaches them signs but manners and kindness and goodness in life. It's also on PBS, so check your local PBS station for times!

The downside, if you could call it that, is that it's mostly media (DVD or VHS). This is also great, though, since the visual signing is much easier to understand and pick up then trying to "read" the signing books.

They also have books, CDs and flashcards. I'm excited about the flashcards for on the go and when we're not wanting the media involvement. Right now there are only 4 packs, but I did contact them and they will be making the rest (a pack for each DVD) after they finish filming series two.

If you go to their website, scroll down to the bottom for links to activities and print offs. Most of their site is store, so if you don't want to be tempted to buy anything, don't visit! :)

Our family is not just sticking with English and ASL, though. My husband is fluent in and teaches Spanish. Therefore, we are also teaching our children Spanish (and me as well!). I'm not sure what we'll be using to help when he's not around to encourage the practice, but as we find things we like, we'll share them with you. For now, we've taught the children many of the words through "I Spy" games, basic conversation starters, bi-lingual and completely Spanish books, jingles he uses at school, and some Church Primary Songs.

We hope to open the way to many possibilities for our children to be able to communicate with many people!

No comments: