Thursday, January 24, 2008

We are not alone

So I was at the library today. I go every Thursday for storytime and to check out new movies and books. For movies, we usually pick out a few educational ones and a few fun ones (like she is watching snow white right now (which she has never seen) but we also picked one up about tunnels (for kids) and we occasionally pick up signing ones etc...) For books, the same goes. I have been picking up some Rookie Readers. i highly recommend these for early reading. They have the words on one page and the picture on another, which is so helpful for beginners. If both the words and the pic are on the same page the child ignores the words, but when seperated (the the words are printed bigger as well) then a child can look at each word while it is being said and then look at the picture to go along with what they just read. I also have been checking out sound books. There are certain letters Liliana has a hard time with (like "R" and "CH"), so I check out the R and CH book in this one series they have here. So for CH it will read like this, "Chad checks his bedroom for checkers" or something like that and show a picture to correspond. So she repeats after me while we read it.
Now while there today I ran into another mom. I recognized her as she is also there often. it never fails that if i wear my sling people want to know where I got it and want one (it is called, The Sling Set and is sold online only). So after chatting with her about that I overheard her telling someone she homeschools. So I asked her about it. She has a 7yr. old, 5yr twins, 3yr old and a baby on the way. She had her oldest in private school (cost $2,500/yr, which really isnt too bad compared to others) and decided she didnt like what her sweet child was changing into at school (started being meaner to her siblings, bad language, etc...) so she started to homeschool. She says for all 4 children she spends $500/yr in homeschooling supplies and said she could do it cheaper if she had to. She gave me some websites where she has found her material(s). I have not even looked at the sites yet but thought I would post them here as well.

My Father's World
Rainbow Resource Center

3 comments:

Tara said...

I created direct links for you on those webpages. Hope you don't mind. Also, I've heard about The rainbow Resource Center...reliable and good prices. I'll start a resources link area and put this on it.

Kim said...

I spend about $200.00 a year per child.
Good thing by the time Liam gets old enough we will have a real income!!
PS....If you want to place an order with RR and are short of $150, which is how much you need to spend to qualify for free shipping, let me know and we can combine our orders if you want.

Nicki said...

Combined orders? Great idea! You guys all sound like the kind of support group I need.