Monday, February 25, 2008

Edible Math

During lunch, Beth and Jeremy started counting their crackers. Jeremy was just counting them as I put jelly on them. Beth went over and got some. Counted them out. Then went back for more. Counted those out. And then added them together. She then did subraction by way of eating a certain number at a time. Jeremy started trying to do the same.

I mention this because Beth (especially) is a very hands-on and visual learner. She's also one of those do-it-myselfers. Sometimes, with subjects like math and language, it's hard to figure out how to help such learners to "learn". This is a great way which is also a "real life" learning experience, and not just on paper. For learners like Beth, this is a must.

I had been working with little rocks doing a similiar thing with Beth weeks ago. I figured she was ready to see it on paper as well and to work between the hands on and the paper. But I was wrong. As soon as the numbers were on paper, she got frustrated and gave up. I've decided that we'll stick with the hands on and visual stuff for now. She knows what her numbers look like written, but the math sentences don't compute for her yet. And because getting frustrated means shutting down all together for her, we'll just work with what she's able to understand and add the "tough" stuff later on down the road. I'm sure I'll try several times before the timing is just right.

2 comments:

Juanita said...

Mattea is similar in her style of learning. She can do math sentences and other paper work, but it bores her and frustrates her. She needs to interact with whats she's learning. I have been trying to make Saxon more hands on and use my own dialogue instead of the one provided. Anyway, in trying to search out hands-on ideas for Mattea's math I came across a book I may purchase... "Hands-On Math Around the Year" (grades 1-3)...
So, Now my concern is: am I going to damage her? How do I get her to love math, a subject I hate? How can I still give her the spiral style learning and let her freely learn? Sheesh, Homeschooling is tough.

Tara said...

I guess you have to find a way to enjoy math... isn't that part of learning for life... learning something new? Maybe you'll find you love math along side her as you do the hands on stuff...

Thanks for the book title, I might look into that!