Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spanish (And Other Languages)

I had mentioned earlier on that we would be teaching our children Spanish - even though Bob is fluent, I am not and I will be doing the majority of the teaching. I've been looking over lots (and I mean everything I can stumble across) of curriculum and resources. I'm thinking that we'll end up with Rosetta Stone - Spanish Latin American version. (They have numerous different languages...check them out to see if they have the language you are looking for)

They have homeschooling equivalents for each language which are only $10.00 more (for the extra manual and instruction stuff). They also have a 7 day free online trail of the program. And, a five month payment play for the homeschool version. It can also be purchased at Rainbow Resource (and probably a hundred other places), but without the payment plan. Also, if purchased directly through Rosetta Stone, then there is a 6 month, no questions asked, money back guarantee! They also have an online only subscription for 3, 6, or 12 months... something like that. If you think you can learn it fast (or your kids) that might be the way to go. With four kids and myself, I think I'm better off with the whole program.

The down side, a one level program is over $200... the combo of level one and level two is $349... also available in the personal section (not available in the homeschool format yet) is a level three.

Really, for a complete program it's not bad. But as with most homeschoolers, our budget is tight and I'm not sure if we'll be able to fit it in right away.

Bob uses Study Spanish online with his students to help with supplamenting and teaching. It's free, but it doesn't have the "fun interaction" that kids would want.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

Until November of last year you could get Rosetta Stone online access for only the cost of a library card. Then in November Rosetta Stone decided to discontinue the library accounts. While I am not happy with their business decision, I loved their program. I am waiting to be able to afford the Spanish (Latin American) levels 1&2. But I WANT it. For me and my kids.

Nicki said...

As far as the interaction was concerned, I was very concerned that Em would just click until she got the right answer. I didn't allow her to move on to the next lesson, though, until she had reached a score of 95 or better. This way, I knew she was actually learning the material, not just being mouse-happy.

Tara said...

Thanks for the info... I think we'll be trying out the 7 day trial over the next week or so to make sure it's what we want.

Also, the five month payment plan ends up being only 75 cents (yes, cents) more than just buying the program outright. Worth it to me... and I think more reasonable for someone on a budget.

Also, I didn't mention, in the rainbow resource, you can buy the workbook set that goes along with it (for each person) separately, so you don't have to buy the complete program for each kids, or person.